A beautiful Spring day, we access the path from the main road at Dwyran, following the yellow and green sign near a house called Llwyn Helyg. We are a bit nervous as the last time we followed a yellow and green sign rather than the Wales Coast Path signs we ended up in the bogs of mid Wales – to this day known as Bog-gate!
We refer to our guide book instructions constantly until we see the first of the WPC signs. We are finding that the Anglesey Coast Path is well signposted, which gives us confidence, to abandon the guide book and follow the signs.
Following field, farm tracks and road, passing the Anglesey Riding Centre where the horses are munching contentedly on their hay. We are surprised at the clear view directly across to Caernarfon Castle.
Eventually join the road just past the former Mermaid Inn, just beyond the Tan y Foel ferry ran across the straits to Caernarfon taking passengers to market and workers across the Straits, only closing in 1952. Near this spot the Romans invaded Anglesey in 61AD and massacred the Druids.
The road passes the entrance to Anglesey Sea Zoo and Anglesey Sea Salt. It was too early into the walk to stop, a decision we later regretted as we could have stopped for a coffee, as there are very few refreshment opportunities along the way.
We chanced upon two local ladies as we approached Llandinan House, who informed us that the tide was out so we could walk along the shore line on the low tide route.
We ran into these ladies again when we detoured off the main route to the hamlet of Moel y Don. They were very interested in our long distance walk. One of the ladies was looking for a retirement challenge.
We stopped for a while here, taking in the views across to Felinheli. I spent a bit of time photographing a duck sitting on her nest, under the watchful eye of her partner. Hard to believe that in 1282 the bloody battle of Moel y Don took place here. 2000 infantrymen and 200 cavalry was sent by Edward 1 to control Anglesey and cut off food supplies.
We returned to the path, passing St.Edwen’s Church, heading straight on across the crossroad on the A4080 towards Bryn Celli Ddu a reconstructed burial chamber dating from the Neolithic age. Only a slight verging from the path. Some calves were drinking from the stream, we paused by a wooden footbridge with a plethora of sign to study the guidebook. To find that we needed to head up the next two fields, but were a bit flummoxed by an electric fence stretching across. It wasn’t switched on and we eventually found a gap where we could step through, leading to a farm track.
The next stage follows much of the main road, but behind a small hedgerow, with duckboards in part.
At low tide take the permissive path down to the shore line, this is a lovely stretch passing the statue of Lord Nelson, in the shadow of Britannia Bridge, then through the church yard of St Mary’s Church, which gave Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch it’s name.
For dinner it was a toss up between the Liverpool Arms or Dylan’s